Friday, February 22, 2008

Sick Boy

I have been feeling pretty ropey over the last 10 days. Yuki thinks that I have a severe case of hay fever whereas I believe I have a persistent cold.

It has been difficult to speak as I have had a sore throat and bunged up nose which occasionally can be coaxed to give up some thick green material that the layman would term as 'snot'. I am hoping that it is indeed a cold. If it is hay fever, I can expect to suffer the same symptoms for 3 months of every year for the duration of my stay in Japan.

Hay fever is an especially severe problem in Tokyo for 2 reasons. Firstly, the pollution exacerbates peoples' sensitivity to pollen. Secondly, since World War Two, there has been a long and sustained programme of cedar afforestation. However, the expected demand for this timber did not materialise and these plantations have been left to grow and produce large brown clouds of pollen during February and March. These cedar plantations cause misery to millions of Tokyoites every year. The most common method of battling the pollen is to wear a surgical mask. I have not gone down this road yet, but may have to 'go native' if things get too bad.

Not only do these trees cause hay fever, but they are also responsible for soil erosion as they have shallow roots when compared to the natural growth trees which they have replaced. The cedar tree is certainly the curse of Japan.

Due to my cold / hay fever, I have done very little over the last 2 weeks and have stayed at home as much as possible. My condition seems to be improving so I think I will visit my local bar for a couple of beers later. As pollen levels are currently rising, I can only conclude that I have been suffering from a cold as my condition is improving.

The weather seems to be improving and we have had a lovely few days with blue skies. I intended to pay a visit to the Imperial Palace at lunchtime so that I could take some pictures of the plum blossom for the blog. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so I guess that will give me an excuse to do another blog next week.

6 comments:

LeperColony said...

Those masks the Japanese wear, while sensible, are a little amusing. The first time I saw one, I thought the masked individual had the plague, leprosy, or something equally loathsome.

Mum - Yours said...

Poor you! Glad you are improving. You never have had hay fever before so I think it is probably just a cold. You are however very allergic to cats!!! I hope you havent been in contact with any? We hope that when you visit soon you leave the 'green stuff' behind. Please....

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is AIDS.

Anonymous said...

Well,

Alan. Maybe you can enlighten us as to the standard symptoms...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - you should know, you AIDS victim.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to imagine there being blossom anywhere right now! It won't stop snowing!