Saturday, September 09, 2006

British Hills

I cycled to a place called British Hills today - only about 60km of cycling but quite difficult as the place is at quite a high altitude. British Hills is a recreation of a British country village with a castle, pub, and other British style houses. The weather even felt British, due to the altitude. I am very impressed with British Hills as all the buildings look authentic and they organise a large number of British themed events throughout the year. All the staff speak English and many come from Britain.

I've been to British Hills many times - the place always seems busy and the guests and visitors always seem to have a good time. I visited British Hills 3 times with my old school (Shimogo JHS) and the students all seemed to benefit from the experience. The school trips typically lasted 3 days and the students were able to take part in different classes and activities that gave them a good idea on the British way of life.

Of course, every time I have visited British Hills, I've gone straight to the pub to take part in the very popular British tradition of getting drunk.

Despite the cold and windy conditions at British Hills, the rest of the cycling journey took place in clear weather with a temperature of about 30C. I was pretty exhausted when I reached Shimogo and stopped off at a new(ish) cafe called Doronko for a beer. Doronko is great because it serves my favourite Japanese beer called Yebisu. After the 60km cycle in hot conditions, the beer was fantastic!! Work at my new schools has been okay so far - I'll try and post a blog later in the week with my thoughts and photos.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just seen your latest entry, it looks like a nice place, lets hope we will visit one day. Are they packets of crisps?

Anonymous said...

Here is an ancient Japanese proverb:-

Before setting out for revenge, first dig two graves.

Mr Lee said...

That's funny, I've just enjoyed a delicious packet of Britz...

Kane Davidson said...

Don't mock! They were actually very nice and a refreshing change from the sameness which is Walker's crisps.

They harked back to the heady days of Tudor and Golden Wonder. Fantastic!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog, Kano. Good to see you are still cycling. Katie sends her regards.

Kane Davidson said...

Hi Fergus

Thanks for the comments. I'll be in Scotland between the 14th and 23rd of October. It'd be nice to meet up, even for just a short time.

Cheers
Kano

Anonymous said...

Twenty Berkley Menthol and a packet of Throaties for the wife please George!

Anonymous said...

It's your turn to clean my bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Can I borrow some money?

Anonymous said...

Is it my round? OK - I'll be back in a minute.

[EXITS THE BAR]

Anonymous said...

I hate Hilary.

Anonymous said...

I love Hilary.

Anonymous said...

Women are just such beautiful creatures.

Anonymous said...

Good idea, Kano. We could have a pint in the Tongdale. I know one of the barmaids there.

Mr Lee said...

Further to our conversation the other day, your blog HAS changed layout...but it hadn't when you asked

Kane Davidson said...

It's all under control.