Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back in Shimogo

After my travels to the Philippines and around Japan, I was really looking forward to returning to my life in Shimogo. I missed my regular cycling trips and am starting to get excited about the skiing season (in another 4 months time). I still have a few days holiday before my next job begins and so I decided to take my camera with me on some short cycle trips and try and capture some images which are typical of Shimogo at this time of year. I'm also really looking forward to September and October - the weather will be much cooler and should let me complete some long cycle trips which I have been thinking about. Watch this space!

The top picture shows a rice field which appears ready for harvesting - that means Shimogo will become a hive of activity in the near future. I'll have plenty is look at and photograph during my after work and weekend cycling trips. Shimogo rice is very nice to eat and we have been lucky enough to have been given several large sacks during the course of our 3 year stay. It's amazing how long a sack of rice lasts. Whilst taking some pictures of the rice fields, I noticed that a little friend had slithered near to my feet. I'm not sure if the snake is poisonous, but I kept my distance, just in case.
It has been quite a long time (1 month) since I have done any serious exercise, so I found cycling really tiring this week. It has also been very hot during the day and I found myself running out of water before I had even reached the half way point on my cycling routes. As a result, I decided to shorten the distance cycled and do a bit of sightseeing. I cycled away from the main road and found some delightful and interesting little settlements. Whenever I cycle down small country roads for the first time, I am always pleasantly surprised at what I find and I will make a mental note to myself to explore as many nooks and crannies in Shimogo as possible. I viewed many lovely rice fields, trees, vegetable fields, and fields of Cosmos flowers. The Cosmos flower can be seen in many parts of Japan - Cosmos is a Greek word which means harmony or ordered universe.

I start my new job on Friday the 1st of September. I'll work in two Junior High Schools for 8 months. I'm not really looking forward to it to be honest - I get the feeling the job will be little different from what I've done over the last few years. However, it will only be for 8 months so I'll bite the bullet and get on with it. I'll try and give you an update on my thoughts next week.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey kano! scenery looks amazing! glad to see your getting yourself a "proper" job, no falling asleep at your desk young man!
great to see pics of the family!
when are you next over in jockland for a pint?
Lorna
x

Kane Davidson said...

Hi Lorna

Thanks for all the jokes that you send via e-mail. You're obviously not too busy.....

I'll be back in Scotland for 7-10 days in October - let's all meet up and have a session for old time sakes.

Cheers
Kane

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorna

Can I see your puppies?

Anonymous said...

Kano

Fancy a pint in October then? Presumably you will be in Edinburgh. Lorna can come too, but not like that!

Al

Kane Davidson said...

Lorna

I ust apologise - I have strange friends!

Anonymous said...

hehe! no worries, sure they arent as weird as me (dodgy early morning calls to Yuki)! Just looked at more of the photos, cant believe how big clara is! she'll be causing you all sorts of grief soon!
Oct is fine with me,
ps, I'm very busy at work but always find time for old friends!
Lorna
x

Anonymous said...

Great, Lorna. Look forward to seeing you then. Mine's a lager and lime! x

Anonymous said...

Lorna, the price you pay for taking part in the 'banter' on Kane's blog!! I think anon will be buying you a drink in Edinburgh. He can buy me one too come to that!

Great pics again Kane looking forward to more.

Anonymous said...

Who ate all the pies?

Kane Davidson said...

ALERT ALERT ALERT

I have just been told that the snake in the picture is dangerous. It has been responsible for amputations in the recent past. Nice.

Anonymous said...

What kind of snake is it?

Kane Davidson said...

I'm told that it is called a Mamushi ( a pit viper).

Anonymous said...

Not a trouser snake then?

Kane Davidson said...

Don't think so - you can tell the difference by the number of eyes. The Mamushi has two.

Anonymous said...

It actually looks more like a purple headed womb ferret to me.

Kane Davidson said...

You are mistaken. It is more likely to be a Mamushi.

Anonymous said...

Is that a Mamushi in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

Kane Davidson said...

Enough!!

CASE CLOSED.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That's not a Mamushi - it's a bloody stingray, mate!

Mr Lee said...

Congratulations on the birth of Princess Kiko's son.
Hoorah!