Sunday, June 18, 2006

Down to Tokyo

On Saturday the 17th of June, I traveled down to Tokyo to meet up with a friend from the Isle of Skye. Kate will stay in Japan for 1 week and will then go to Hong Kong to stay with my brother for 1 week.

I traveled to Tokyo in the company of the local doctor who was attending a conference. We drove to a town called Shirakawa and then caught the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) to Tokyo. The Shinkansen are everything that British trains are not. They are fast, punctual, clean, safe, and spacious. I am truly ashamed of the British rail system when I compare it to the rail system in Japan. I would encourage any visitors to Japan to take a journey on the Shink. A VERY impressive experience indeed!!

Whilst browsing through the free Shinkansen magazine, I came across this rather interesting advertisement for an umbrella for dogs! I can't think of a more ridiculous invention. What will it be next?? Shoes for cats? Ear warmers for rabbits? Tortoise roller skates? Goldfish buoyancy aids?

After the short train journey to Tokyo, I purchased 3 books at one of Tokyo's largest book shops and then met a friend for some food and a couple of beers. At 10pm, I met Kate at Shinjuku Station and then we headed to Yuki's parents home in Kumegawa. After Kate got herself organised, we went out for a few more drinks and exchanged a few stories. Kate decided to travel to Shimogo with us for a little sightseeing and then she will return to Tokyo on Tuesday morning.

12 comments:

Mark in Hong Kong said...

Erm, Say hi to Kate and let me know when she's gettign in to HK

Kane Davidson said...

Will do. I'll try and get her flight details later.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see Kate there Kane, she looks happy and relaxed. Lucky her, wish I was there too!!

Mr Lee said...

Nice bit of cross-referenced cut and paste there, Sir Jock

Anonymous said...

Could do without comments from Sir!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Moon, with thy silvery light,
Thou seemest most charming to my sight;
As I gaze upon thee in the sky so high,
A tear of joy does moisten mine eye.

Beautiful Moon, with thy silvery light,
Thou cheerest the Esquimau in the night;
For thou lettest him see to harpoon the fish,
And with them he makes a dainty dish.

Beautiful Moon, with thy silvery light,
Thou cheerest the fox in the night,
And lettest him see to steal the grey goose away
Out of the farm-yard from a stack of hay.

Beautiful Moon, with thy silvery light,
Thou cheerest the farmer in the night,
and makes his heart beat high with delight
As he views his crops by the light in the night.

Beautiful Moon, with thy silvery light,
Thou cheerest the eagle in the night,
And lettest him see to devour his prey
And carry it to his nest away.

Kane Davidson said...

Callum

I didn't realise you were a man of such taste and breeding. A fine example to us all!!

Anonymous said...

Callum,
how did you get on this blog?

Ika will be here next...

Anonymous said...

aye, i'm often cut...

Anonymous said...

by the way. sorry about the wee map of Africa i drew on the front of my trousers last time playing pool in the Caley. Damm light trousers show up everything

Kane Davidson said...

Isn't ' I'm forever blowing bubbles' Michael Jackson's favourite song?

Anonymous said...

If it walks like a duck,
Talks like a duck,
Burns bridges like a duck,
Launches polar expeditions like a duck,
Hunts lion like a duck,
Prepares SEM samples like a duck,
And eats its young like a duck,
Then I guess it's a f***ing duck!