Sunday, May 21, 2006

Mount Kashitoge

One of my goals this year was to cycle to the top of Mount Kashitoge. I'm happy to have achieved this goal so early in the year and now I can think about my next challenge. The first picture shows the construction of a road next to the route I take up the mountain. New roads (and other concrete behemoths) are constantly being built in Japan, with little or no regard to the environment. Japanese government debt is the highest in the world, yet the government still pours money into these projects. Personally I think the money would be much better invested in new high tech schools for the 21st Century.

I am fairly confident that I am the first person to visit the top of the mountain road this year as I had to push my bike over large piles of snow which are still blocking the road - I can't imagine anyone else in Shimogo being crazy enough to cycle to the top. The best thing about the cycle was the peace and quiet. When I reached the top of the road, I left my bike and started to hike further up the mountain, but had to turn back because of the snow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kane the pictures are really good! Mum