Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Japan to the UK overland - closing thoughts

And with this entry, the end of my posts regarding my Trans Siberian and European adventure. After leaving Paris, I took a rather expensive Eurostar train to London and then an overnight sleeper up to Scotland. Ending the journey on a sleeper train in the Highlands of Scotland was a poetic finale.

Japan to Scotland was long, often uncomfortable, sometimes a bit scary, but entirely fascinating. I am conscious that it was possibly a once in a lifetime journey which will never be repeated. I also realise that I am extremely privilaged to have had the opportunity to complete the adventure.

So many wonderful sights - I am now able to look at the map of Asia and Europe in a different and informed light. It is difficult to pick a highlight from the journey. Baikal? Moscow? Paris? Warsaw? The ferry?

One aspect that I am more sure about as time goes on is that it was completely the right decision to leave Japan in this manner. Because of the gradual parting with the country, I actually do not really feel I have left. Sometimes I still have to remind myself that I am waking up in the UK and not in western Tokyo.

Thanks for taking the time to read of my travels. Forthcoming updates on my life in the UK will be a bit shorter and perhaps a tad more mundane.

No comments: