Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A short trip to Shimogo

Shimogo sunset
Clara and I have just returned to Tokyo, after our brief visit to Shimogo, Fukushima Prefecture. Although it was a short visit, we both had a great time and enjoyed reminiscing about the old days when we lived there for 4 years.

I had originally planned to visit Shimogo by myself, but asked Clara as an afterthought if she wished to come along. Rather surprisingly for me, she was extremely eager to come up to Shimogo and very keen to meet some of her old friends.

Instead of staying at the usual place, an inn called Suzukiya, we actually stayed at the house of the local doctor. Clara and I both appreciated the hospitality which Tomo and his wife gave us. We had our own tatami room next to the rice fields, and the breakfast which we were given was substantial.

Soon after we arrived, Tomo drove us to Yunokami in Shimogo, a place well known for onsen (hot springs). A perfect reintroduction to Shimogo. We were all clean and fresh for the evening events. The lady who runs the onsen also kindly gave me a number of souvenirs to take back to Tokyo with me.

Clara and I had slightly different plans on Saturday evening. While I was eating and drinking with Tomo at Wakatsuki, a popular local restaurant, Clara was having dinner in a different restaurant with friends she knew from nursery school. Clara impresses me - not only does she have a very good recollection of her time and friends in Shimogo, but she has the confidence and desire to meet up with people she knew from the dim and distant past. I don't think I was so confident and outgoing when I was her age.

Tomo very kindly provided a bottle of 1974 Chateau Trotanoy. I have never before tried a wine of such vintage, and would imagine that I will rarely have such fine wine in future. Trying to drink and savor the wine slowly was a challenge of monumental proportions.
Enjoying the wine
The slow pace of life in Shimogo is something that Clara and I both miss. The gentle walk to and from Wakatsuki was a pleasure, and I am very proud of the photo at the top of this blog entry which I took of Clara and Tomo as the sun set. Moments after the photo was taken, the red sky had almost completely disappeared. Most of my photos are stored electronically, but that photo has given me the motivation to buy some albums and a good printer to ensure I have my favourite photos at hand.
Lovely weather
A short but enjoyable return to Shimogo. Clara's only complaint was that we didn't stay long enough.

Thanks again to Tomo-sensei and his wife for looking after us.

No comments: