Wednesday, August 31, 2011

To Sapporo

On the 23rd August, we had a full itinerary on our epic journey from northern Hokkaido towards the south. Amongst other things, we stopped off at some picturesque waterfalls and spent about 3 hours at Japan's most popular zoo (Asahiyama Zoo). Going to a zoo seemed a little inappropriate to me - there are plenty to visit in any country or city around the world. I also feel uncomfortable that the animals are cooped up for their lives in small spaces purely for the enjoyment of humans. Clara loved it though and I must admit that watching the polar bear diving into a pool to retrieve fish was fascinating.

After departing the zoo, our journey continued to Flower Land. Not overly exciting and for me, a little disappointing. The large field of sunflowers all had drooping heads and I think that the famous fields of lavender had also already reached their peak a week or two before. The light rain was also a slight irritant.

The real prize for me was our stay in the city of Sapporo. Sapporo is world famous for the Snow Festival held each February - another good reason to make a return journey to Hokkaido one day. However, I was also interested to see the city as it is supposed to be unique amongst other Japanese cities as it adopts a more American style town plan.

Soon after arriving at our hotel in the Susukino area of the city (within the entertainment and red light district), we walked about 15 minutes or so to see Odori Park. The park is one of the well publicised images of Sapporo, so I was keen to get a quick glimpse before our search for a suitable place for dinner and drinks.

The only downside during our stay in Sapporo was the hectic schedule we had to stick to. We had woken up early (again) that morning and had spent an extremely busy and tiring day travelling to the aforementioned attractions. We also knew that there would be another early start the next day. Before the holiday, I was really looking forward to a good night out in Sapporo. Reality meant that I was in bed and fast asleep by 10.30pm. By trying to do too much, I actually failed to do some of the things I most wanted. Just too tired to explore the city, made worse by fear of being stuck on the bus the next day with a thumping hangover.

So similar to Shiretoko, Sapporo was a nice place to visit. In order to really appreciate it though, I will have to return one day.

No comments: