Sunday, August 28, 2011

Shiretoko Peninsula

For as long as I can remember, I have always yearned to visit the Shiretoko Peninsula. I imagined raw and unspoilt scenery, an abundance of wildlife, and only a smattering of people. My expectations proved pretty accurate.The only problem was that we were on a bus tour - a simple and often stress free way to see a new place, but one that sticks to a rigid schedule (especially in Japan) where you cannot linger.

Perhaps the most memorable memory of my whole trip was simply sitting on the beach for 5 minutes next to Clara. The air was fresh, the waters in the Sea of Okhotsk were clear, and the amount of bird life around the coast was a reminder of the relatively untouched wilderness we were visiting. Shiretoko was fantastic - but our brief visit was nowhere near long enough. I regard our visit as a taster - I will return sometime in the future for at least a couple of days. The scenery in winter must be breathtaking.

On the short return walk from the beach to the car park, I noticed a large cluster of thistles (called azami in Japanese) - how could I not take a picture of the flower of Scotland? A few years ago, I remember being quite surprised to learn that thistles were commonly found in northern Japan. The parallels don't end there - Scotland and Hokkaido are almost exactly the same size with almost identical populations.

Shortly after lunch and our brief sojourn to the beach, we got back on the bus and went to see the fairly interesting Sea Ice Museum near the town Mombetsu. Every winter, the Sea of Okhotsk freezes over due to the continuous influx of fresh water from the Russian Amur River, thus lowering salinity. It must be quite a sight to see in winter!Shiretoko was everything I had hoped it would be - a real gem. Next time I visit, I won't be in such a rush to leave. Fantastic!

2 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

Nice it lived up to expectations and you were not disappointed.

Joep said...

Isn't Clara lucky though to have swam in the North Sea at Embo, fished for lobster in the Atlantic at Scarista Mhor and spent time on the beach of the Sea of Okhotsk. All in a matter of a few weeks!