Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sports Day

Clara had her school sports day on Saturday. I have already done a post a few years ago where I have explained the events and my general feelings. The previous post can be found by clicking on the 'Sports Day' tab at the bottom this entry. I'll just add a few pictures today to give you a general idea of what went on.The first picture shows one of the only events where kids actually (almost) compete one versus one. Clara was quite happy to come second in her sprint.This is one of Clara's classmates. He seemed really nice and was asking where I was from etc. I am hoping that he is a typical Japanese child as he seemed completely at ease and accepting of a foreigner. Hopefully a good omen for the future of Japan.The aim of this activity is to snatch the cap off the opposing jockey. Looks like fun, providing you are the jockey. I don't really like things like this. I can only imagine how many kids get hurt each year demonstrating group harmony.And with a final bow, it is all over. It was certainly a lovely day and Clara and I have a bit of sunburn. I'm not really sure if it really was a sports day as there were few recognisable sports that appear in similar events in Scotland. My image of school sports are track and field related events with a possible team tug of war thrown in for good measure. Perhaps the day should be renamed Group Activity Day. Kind of fun, and the training was certainly good exercise for Clara.

Another working week beckons.....

2 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

yeh its more like a display day, not real sport. That means you have to compete and that seemingly is wrong. I think life is a competition and the lesson that you can do well or not are important and reality. There are always people who are better or worse than you at everything.

Mum - Yours said...

been trying to work out where Clara is in that big pyramid type thing?? Is she in there somewhere?