Sunday, May 15, 2011

Back to Japan, but not before.....

In a blink of an eye, it was time to start thinking about my return flight to Japan. With all the events over the preceding days, coupled with the fact I was laid low with food poisoning for a few days, I again found myself short of time and having to rush to do the things I needed to do, and see the people I needed to see.

I made a day trip from Inverness to Skye on Tuesday 3rd May as I wanted to pop up to Staffin House Residential home to pass on my thanks, see my Great Auntie Annie, and visit my Auntie Marie. As I was trying to achieve multiple goals in only one day, I was kept busy and was quite tired when I arrived back in Inverness that evening.

As can be seen in the photos, the weather was fantastic. When the sun is shining, Skye really does make your heart skip a beat.

After the recent passing of my granny, it was comforting to see new signs of life brought about by spring in Skye. The gorse bushes were in full bloom and new born lambs were scampering about the fields. I must have really looked like the tourists I used to make fun of when I lived on the island - walking round with a big zoom lens taking photos and anything that moved.A constant regret that I have when I visit Scotland is never having enough time to do the things I want to do. I would really love to spend a few weeks back in Skye, going with the flow, and reacquainting myself with island life. Instead, my visits seem like a whistle-stop tour where all I manage to do is tick boxes. Perhaps before I begin my next job (whenever that might be), I will be able to spend a month back in Skye and finally recover the level of familiarity I once felt.My last full day in Scotland was spent having lunch with my mother and then getting some essential shopping done - tea bags, deodorant, brown sauce, English mustard etc.

Over the duration of my visit, I also managed to drink a few good Scottish ales, but my appetite for beer and food quickly disappeared after my bout of food poisoning - a great way to save money. As I was feeling under the weather for the final 4 or 5 days of my visit to Scotland, I was unable to eat or drink much of anything. I feel guilty that when I visited Neil & Jen's new house, I was only able to pick at the lovely roast beef they had prepared. Sorry guys.

So, all in all, a mixed visit to Scotland. I will be making what will probably be another brief visit this summer as Clara will again spend nearly one month with her grandparents in Inverness. Looks like it will be another mad rush to do the things I need to do.

2 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

I really hope you get time on your next visit just to take time where you want it. x Roll on Summer!

Al said...

Great photos my man!!

Take it you like the new camera then?

Al