Saturday, March 26, 2011

Our Time in Hong Kong

Despite the desperate circumstances which led to Clara and I heading to Hong Kong, whilst we were there, we resolved to enjoy ourselves. I cannot adequately describe the relief felt not having to worry about aftershocks and the threat of radiation.

Our time was spent mostly around Mui Wo village on Lantau Island (where Mark and Grace live), although we did foray in to Central Hong Kong a couple of times, visited the large Buddha, and made a day trip to Ocean Park amusement park.

Many people commute into Central Hong Kong by ferry. I cannot think of a more dramatic or interesting way to get to work. The waters around Hong Kong are a hive of activity with vessels of all shapes and sizes at anchor waiting for their berthing slot. Although I work in shipping, the size of some of the vessels was breathtaking. Hong Kong is a city which feels right at the forefront of international trade and commerce - it feels a happening place where everything is in flux. One downside to the ever changing nature of Hong Kong is that you are never too far from pneumatic drills and pile drivers.

It was touching to see displays of support for Japan at places around Hong Kong. I noticed this sign at a coffee shop on Mui Wo pier whilst Clara and I were waiting for the ferry to travel into Central.

The village where Mark and Grace live is a real backwater. The village has a real country feel with bicycles far outnumbering cars with people relaxing outside various small restaurants chatting and supping drinks. Despite the slow life in Mui Wo, it is only a short ferry ride into the maelstrom of Central Hong Kong. There are also quite a number of nice beaches around, the one below just outside the Silvermine Hotel where I stayed last November whilst attending the wedding - perfect for barbecues once the weather warms up a bit.So, Clara and I were lucky enough to stay in a nice location that offered the opportunity for excitement or relaxation.

Big thanks have to go to Mark and Grace who were perfect hosts to us during our visit to Hong Kong. They both cooked some lovely meals and made Clara and I feel very much at home. Grace was kind enough to do Clara's hair each morning as this is a skill I have not picked up in my 10 years as a father. It was also good to catch up with a few of Mark's friends in and around Hong Kong. This picture was taken at a place called Tung Chung, not too far from the airport, and shows Mark, Grace, Steff, Clara, and myself. More to follow soon.

1 comment:

Mum - Yours said...

I absolutely love Hong Kong. I agree that its the peace of Mui Wo mixed with the buzz of the Central that are special. I still habour a wish to live there for a period some time!