Friday, December 31, 2010

Champagne Brunch and the Aftermath

I was struggling to remember what we did but now recall we went to a hotel near the airport for a champagne brunch. The champagne flowed freely and the choice (and quality) or food was truly fantastic. As the hotel was next to the airport, we spent a lot of our time plane spotting – 75% of flights were Cathay A330s with Trent engines……..Most of the 20 or so people at lunch were at Mark’s wedding the previous day. However, there were also a lot of his colleagues + sundry others in attendance. I have to say that another highlight of my visit to Hong Kong was that everyone I met seemed to be genuinely nice and easy going. I think I only managed to bore one or two people to death so perhaps a few will still speak to me next time I am over.By the time that lunch had concluded, the spectre of my 8am return flight the next morning was becoming ever more real. What better way to banish that spectre? Yes, a return to the Turkish restaurant for more beers. Later in the night, my parents returned to the hotel whilst Mark and I continued talking gibberish to Satu (restaurant owner) and others. I cycled back to the hotel, fell off my bicycle and now have some nice grazing and to my left arm – a badge of honour for surviving a busy Hong Kong weekend.

The worst aspect of my trip was the knowledge of my 8am flight. Catching this flight would mean a 5am start from the hotel, something I proved unable to do. I woke up at 1pm (by which time the flight had actually arrived in Tokyo), cussed and shook my head for a while before a taxi to the airport and working it out from there. I ended up getting an ANA flight at some cost but it was much better than Delta Airlines with a great selection of films and better clientele.

So, with the exception of my missed flight, an excellent and enjoyable trip to Hong Kong. Next time I go (which I have resolved to be in the not too distant future), I will be more realistic about flight times and ensure I fly with ANA.

Thanks to:

  • Mark and Grace for putting me up.
  • Mum & Joep for bringing over the kilt shirt and Christmas presents.
  • Mark’s wide selection of pals for the good banter.
  • Satu and Katie at the Turkish restaurant for service beyond the call of duty.

See you next time!

2 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

So you did not wake up until 1pm? I didnt know that!!

Kane Davidson said...

Yeah, and Yuki does not know the credit card bill yet.....