Monday, October 25, 2010

Skye News

The Isle of Skye has been in the news a lot recently for both good and bad reasons. Last week the new Royal Navy attack submarine HMS Astute grounded on shingle near the Skye bridge. This is the second grounding of a nuclear submarine off Skye in 7 years. Although many would not agree, I always enjoyed seeing the submarines off the island when I was a boy. I remember great excitement seeing these sinister shapes anchored off the Black Rock in the Sound of Raasay. The waters off Skye are frequently used by Navy submarines for testing and torpedo practice and Loch Portree is actually termed a Z-berth which is deemed suitable for use in the event of a reactor problem. Z-berths are generally placed in areas with great water depth, just like the waters off Portree and in the Sound of Raasay. HMS Astute now appears to be heading back to Faslane to lick her wounds and bring the Captain closer to his court martial. And on a lighter note, I see that Skye has been voted one of Europe's the best island holiday destinations in a survey performed by Conde Nast. That's not really a great surprise to be honest. There are few nicer places than Skye when the sun is shining......unfortunately that is not a common occurence.

And that's about that. Tokyo is now much darker in the evenings as the winter draws in and temperatures are now around 15C. I will soon have to change to my winter futon and plug in my kotatsu table to keep me warm in my pied a terre in Makuhari. Until the next time.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are submarines powered?

Mum - Yours said...

you will be in Skye in the not too distant future and I will make sure the sun shines x