Sunday, August 08, 2010

Shimogo - A Brief Return

Sorry, I have been a bit slow updating the blog recently. The summer heat in Tokyo seems to have made me a bit lethargic and it is only now that I have the motivation to make some updates.

One of the highlights of August was my brief trip back to Shimogo on Saturday the 7th of August. I was looking forward to meeting up with Tomo and Satoshi again as it was about 18 months since I had seen them last. Both seemed fine and had not changed at all. Every now and again, Tokyo really starts to get me down and I can feel the need to flee the big city for the soothing delights of the countryside. The journey up on the Tobu Line was relaxing sedate and with each passing kilometer, I started to feel better about the world. It is nice to be reminded that life does exist outside of Tokyo.

I was scheduled to meet up with Tomo and Satoshi in Wakatsuki restaurant at 6.30pm. As the taxi dropped me off at my ryokan (called Suzukiya) at 6.20pm, I had to quickly check in and dump my bags in order to make it to Wakatsuki in time. Although I only had 10 minutes to make it to the restaurant, the innkeeper still managed to find the time to highlight my poor Japanese. I only have myself to blame I suppose.....

The walk from my inn to the restaurant was one down memory lane, as it was a route Clara and I used to walk each evening after dinner. Fond memories. The distinctive mountain in the background of the photo was lovely in the fading light and really stirred my memories.
Wakatsuki was fun and I think we drank quite a few beers. Tomo was kind enough to provide a belated Fukushima peach birthday cake sourced from the local French restaurant - very pleasant indeed! After stealing the 5 year old toilet slippers from the toilets and lobbing them into a nearby rice field, we went off to sing karaoke at a bar which I have never been to before. At this point, my memory becomes hazy but I remember singing some Frank Sinatra numbers and one or two Bon Jovi hits.

And that is essentially the story of my brief visit to Shimogo. Satoshi kindly collected me on Sunday morning and drove me quite far to a convenient station from where I could get back to Shimogo. A brief visit, but nonetheless enjoyable!

Thanks to Tomo and Satoshi for their hospitality.

1 comment:

Al said...

Is that a Lacoste top you are wearing?