Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Hazelburn : Scottish Bar in Tokyo

I have had a few days off work recently and have been living quietly of late. As a result, on Saturday, I decided to venture in to Tokyo to buy an aircraft magazine at the foreign bookshop and follow that up with a few relaxing (if overpriced) beers. I like supping some beers while reading a newspaper or magazine, so I was looking forward to my time in central Tokyo.

After a couple of pints in The Dubliner's Bar, I headed off to The Hazelburn Bar which is conveniently close to Seibu-Shinjuku Station from where I can catch my train to Kumegawa. The counter of the bar was pleasingly quiet and I sat down with my newspaper and had a few pints. Although the quality of the pints was not great, and a lot of the beers they are supposed to sell were not on offer (just like the last time I dropped by), I enjoyed the time by myself and managed to ignore the blaring bagpipe music.

After my first pint, I ordered the extortionately priced haggis with a certain amount of trepidation. The haggis itself was passable although the addition of sauerkraut was somewhat of a surprise.

Despite spending an inordinate amount of money on some below par pints and not so special food, I felt that I had got something out of my system and class the visit into town as a success.

Tokyo now appears to be warming up after what has felt like a longer than usual winter. Spring has been in the air recently and I will make an effort to enjoy the next couple of months before the sweltering and humid conditions return.

2 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

strange combination of food but a change I guess!

Unknown said...

Saurkraut and Haggis? New one