Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year - 2009

Belated Happy New Year to you all! Apologies for not posting an update sooner. My 9 days off work between the 27th December and 4th January were fantastic and the only holidays I have had since June. As is usual, the 9 days disappeared in the blink of an eye and I now find myself back at work with the pressures building. The first half of 2009 promises to be a tough period at work so I will have to steel myself and get on with it.

We travelled up to Shimogo on the 27th December and were all looking forward to seeing Minami-Aizu again and meeting up with some old friends. I really used to love the harsh winters in Shimogo. The heavy snow made each winter day feel like an adventure and created picture postcard landscapes. During the course of our drive to Shimogo, Yuki and I came to the conclusion that we would both happily live in Shimogo permanently if we could secure jobs like the ones we have in Tokyo. A dilemma that is probably common around the world.

Our first task upon arrival in Shimogo was to meet up with Miyu-chan, one of Clara's best friends from Shimogo Nursery School. The meeting was very brief, but they had 5 minutes or so to chat and exchange presents. I hope Clara manages to keep in touch with some Shimogo friends as the time she spent there was a really important part of her life.

After Clara's rendezvous, the three of us killed a little time and went to a newly opened coffee shop in the 'center' of Shimogo. Yuki and Clara stayed a short time and then drove to their hotel at the nearby hot spring resort of Ashinomaki. The lady in the coffee shop was very chatty and kind and did not mind me mooching around for another 2 hours while I waited to meet up with Tomo and Satoshi at 6pm. Despite me being the only customer there, and perhaps being the only customer she had all day (judging by the lack of footprints in the snow leading to the front door), she gave me a free pizza.

There seemed to be a handful of new restaurants since our last visit to Shimogo. Apparently, since a new road has opened which links Shimogo to Shirakawa, the local economy has improved. I have my doubts whether there will be any long term benefit and suspect that Shimogo will only see more through traffic with few visitors stopping or staying for the night. I have my own personal reasons for disliking the new road - it has been built along one of my favourite former cycling routes. The countryside along the route was really special and gave me a chance to escape all the construction that has blighted other parts of the area. Now, there will be the usual juggernauts billowing out sooty smoke and rubbish strewn along the road. Anything new that has been built using concrete is termed "progress" in Japan. It doesn't matter what cost there is to the environment. I know I sound like a broken record, but if the Japanese countryside is to have a future, then it needs to remain special. These projects are another nail in the coffin of rural Japan.

Just before 6pm, I left the cozy coffee shop (with nice log fire) and trudged up to Wakatsuki restaurant in the thick snow. Feeling like Scott of the Antarctic, I was glad to make a return to Wakatsuki to meet up with Tomo and Satoshi. The only problem was that I had to return to my minshuku in Yunokami onsen at 10pm. This is the latest that a taxi is available and meant only having 4 hours to catch up on the Shimogo gossip. However, Satoshi phoned his sister who kindly agreed to drive my back to Yunokami at midnight. That was much appreciated and allowed me an extra 2 hours of time in Wakatsuki.

After being dropped off at my minshuki (Ebisuya), I went up to my room to find it freezing. I had planned to read for a while but it was so cold I got straight into my futon. I didn't sleep well to be honest - the room must have been sub-zero!!! It was only when I got up the next day that I noticed the heater in my room. Doh! The best part of any hotel, minshuku or ryokan in the local area are the onsens (hot springs). The onsen at Ebisuya was satisfyingly scalding and removed the chill from my bones which had built up during the night. Lovely!! The photo was taken from my room just before Yuki picked me up - an ever thickening blanket of snow.

And that was that! A short visit to Shimogo, but a pleasant visit none the less. I have no idea when we will visit next - perhaps I can arrange a hill walking or camping trip sometime in the summer with my old colleagues.

3 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

Yeh Shimogo was lovely, shame the visit was so short, next time 2 nights will make a world of difference! So nice reading about places we have been to, can just picture it, ah.

Anonymous said...

You like Shimogo, don't you?

Anonymous said...

But does Shimogo like you?