Monday, January 07, 2008

Happy New Year - 2008

New Year passed relatively well and we continued to eat, drink, and be merry. I 'saw the bells in' in our apartment in Tokyo and then headed to my local bar (Bo Jangles) to continue the celebrations. The craic was good and all the customers were in party mood. I was left alone in the bar at around 2am when all the customers headed to the local shrine to pay their respects. I turned down their invitation to join them and relaxed in the empty bar drinking my beer. I staggered home at about 3.30am and tried to mentally prepare myself to be woken up at 9.30am so we could all join Yuki's parents for a special New Years brunch.

Everyone filed to the family shrine (in a spare room) to light incense and pay their respects to the family ancestors. I thought that it was a nice way to include those who have passed away in our thoughts during this special occasion. I suppose religion does have its benefits after all.... The photo is an example of a typical family shrine, although perhaps on the large side.

Once we all returned downstairs, we all sat at the large kotatsu table and had a short toast in Japanese and English. The Japanese family members all tucked into an expensive array of assorted seafood whilst I experienced the delight of a good old ham salad. I have never liked seafood so I was quite happy with what I was given. Sometimes I feel a bit of a liability at family dinner times as an extra dish usually needs to be prepared for myself. I have come to the conclusion that I will never come to like seafood - a big shame in Japan.

The early afternoon on New Years Day passed quietly and then I met up with an old Japanese friend to continue the celebrations. We headed to Yasaka Shrine, near my apartment, and I was able to watch the natives perform their rituals. We queued for about 30 minutes and then made a small cash donation, rang the temple bell, and clapped our hands twice to ostensibly pray. I was wondering whether the people who made the effort to visit the shrine actually had some religious beliefs or were there because it is 'the thing to do' at New Year.

Outside the shrine, there was a small bonfire that seemed to be burning the old fittings from 2007. I guess it's a kind of 'out with the old and in with the new' scenario. If anyone can enlighten me further, it would be appreciated.

Once we left the shrine, we found the only bar that was open and continued to enjoy ourselves.

So now it is 2008 and the year promises to hold many challenges. Hopefully I'll be able to regain some blogging momentum and produce a few more stories from my time in Japan. Happy 2008!!

23 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

Kane, you have been to the same amount of pubs as you have Shrines!!! You must be slowing down in your old age.

Kane Davidson said...

I must be. I haven't tasted a beer for over a week now and have no desire to do so.

Mum - Yours said...

keep going to them Shrines - they obviously are doing you good!

Anonymous said...

Keep going to "them" Shrines?

Where did you go to school, Pauline?

Kane Davidson said...

Alan

Coming from a person who thinks British is spelt Brittish, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Anonymous said...

I am not British - I am Scotish.

Kane Davidson said...

Glad to hear it!!!

Anonymous said...

Anyway, how much does a DS Lite cost in Japan?

They are in very short supply here just now and the RRP is around £150.

Would you be able to get me one over there (preferably in navy blue, if available) and post it to me? Obviously you will be reimbursed.

Cheers.

Kane Davidson said...

DS Lites are ¥17,000 which in real money is about 85 quid. I can pick one up for you but I am worried that the software coding might be different and that the different country voltages may cause problems.

If you can investigate whether or not the UK and Japanese models are the same, that'd help. If so, it will be no problem for me to pick one up for you.

Hello.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, mate.

I will investigate the position and get back to you. As you say, it's not going to be worth it if the Japanese and UK models are essentially two different consoles.

Anyway, what games has Clara got? Spyro The Dragon is a personal favourite of mine.

Kane Davidson said...

She has got a Tamagotchi game (which you and everyone else your side of the world will know nothing about).

Anonymous said...

Are they not something to do with keeping a virtual pet, looking after it, feeding it etc?

Anonymous said...

happy new year Kan (and fam!). A bit late but hey.....

Your mum and Joep are safe back home again. Very nice seeing them again....

I will be in HKK around the 21st of May. Any chance of arranging a old fashion get together with Mark down there?

Dries

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Kane! Man Clara is getting big! Feel all old and that!

Lorna
x

Kane Davidson said...

That's right, Alan. Why are you covering normal banter routines of late?

Anonymous said...

Not sure what you mean, Kano. I met Glover for lunch yesterday and he sends his regards. He says that he is looking forward to catching up with you at Grambo's wedding.

By the way, I recently read somewhere that Japan has got the lowest rate of crime in the world. Is that true?

Kane Davidson said...

Hi Dries

And a Happy New Year to you all. I won't be able to visit Hong Kong in May I'm afraid but maybe next time........

Cheers
Kane

Kane Davidson said...

Hi Lorna

Thanks for the comment. Can't believe Clara is now 7! Shocking!! Have a good 2008. Are you still on Ferry Road?

Kane Davidson said...

Hello Aldo

I'm also REET looking forward to catching up with the posse. Should be a great opportunity to catch up. Will you be taking a partner to the wedding?

Japan probably does have one of the worlds lowest crime RATEs. However, statistics from Japanese institutions mean absolutely nothing. The police habitually ignore some crimes in order give the appearance that crime in their area is low. The Japanese Police are awful at murder investigation and forensic science is something that is only seen on TV (usually on a foreign programme). One example was when a mans body was found in the ocean. The man was gagged and bound. Despite all the indicators of foul play, the police attributed the death to suicide.

To summarise, Japan is a safe country, but not as safe as the media would have you believe.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that insight, mate.

So, what you are saying is that if I wanted to kill someone then it would be best if I took them on holiday to Japan and did it there?

I hope Peter Sutcliffe isn't reading this

Kane Davidson said...

Yep, Japan would be a good place to go. The police care even less when it is a foreigner on foreigner crime.

Anonymous said...

Noted - I will keep that in mind.

Next time your mother and Joep come over to visit you, I might follow them. And they might not come back.

Joep and Pauline - do you feel lucky, punks?

Mum - Yours said...

Alan, it must be an age thing, but I have no idea what you are talking about!