Sunday, February 11, 2007

While the cat's away.......

Yuki and Clara are both in Tokyo at the moment and will return to Shimogo on Wednesday. As they are in Tokyo, I thought it would be a good idea to invite Alan (a friend from Scotland) and his girlfriend to Shimogo. It proved to be a busy 2 days.

On Friday at about 9.30pm, I drove to a station called Aizu Kogen to pick them up. While I was driving through the town of Tajima, I noticed that the small van in front of me had stopped on the train level crossing. Seconds later, a woman got out of the van and ran towards my car. She told me that she had just broken down! I can't think of a worse place to break down, apart from on Haifa Street in Baghdad.

I got out of my car and managed to push the van off the tracks - seconds later, along came a train. I was in the right place at the right time. If I hadn't have been there, the train would certainly have collided with the van. Exciting stuff!!

We got back to Shimogo at about 10pm and then headed to Wakatsuki for some food and drink. Alan and Akie seemed impressed with Wakatsuki and were surprised that such a place existed in Shimogo. We left Wakatsuki fairly late and this probably has something to do with our late start on Saturday.On Saturday, we drove to a town called Tadami for the snow festival. The drive took about 90 minutes but it was a good opportunity for Alan and Akie to see the real Japanese countryside. I think Tadami probably is the most charming town in the local area. I was expecting the festival to be really busy, and so was very surprised to see few people at this event. It was raining and I think that drove a lot of people away. Another bad point of the Tadami Snow Festival was the smell of cooked mutton - the smell was really strong and making us all feel nauseous.

After our brief visit to the Tadami Snow Festival, we drove to Yurari Onsen for a bath followed by lunch and a nap.

On Saturday night, we went to a newish place called Doronko in Shimogo for dinner and more beers. I would like to go to Doronko more often but it is too far from the area where I stay. The food at Doronko is excellent. Doronko is run by a young couple called Rie and Nozomi. New businesses run by young people are rare in rural Japan but are vitally important for the future survival of Japanese rural settlements. I wish them luck.

Alan and Akie planned to return to Tokyo at 2.30pm on Sunday. This allowed me to show them another snow festival in Ouchijuku (technically part of Shimogo) and also show them a place called Tonohetsuri with its interesting rock formations. They were really pleased to see Ouchijuku with its charming houses with straw roofs. After lunch in Ouchijuku, I drove Alan and Akie to Tajima so they could catch their train back to Tokyo. A good couple of days but I'm certainly pretty tired after the visit (and a lot poorer).
There has been quite a lot of snow over the past couple of days so I paid a brief visit to Daikura today (Monday) for a spot of skiing. It was really busy today as it's a national holiday (Foundation Day) in Japan.

Next week will see me visit 3 different elementary schools for the last time before we move to Tokyo. On Tuesday night I'll be busy cleaning the flat in advance of the return of Yuki and Clara. Bye for now.

10 comments:

Kane Davidson said...

Hmmmm.....perhaps NOT!

Kane Davidson said...

Yes, that was a thrill a minute.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kane,

Nice to see you think My town is the most charming in the area, thanks! Hope your friends enjoyed their visit.
I've been meaning to start up a site since I arrived in Japan and just checking yours out for some inspiration.

Matthew Fulford said...

We must have got to Tadami a bit too late and missed you on Saturday. I enjoyed it a lot too. I hear you were at Daikura yesterday as well, sounds like you had as good a weekend as mine.

Got a serious case of the back to work blues though now!

Kane Davidson said...

Hi Brynn / Matt

Tadami has always been in my good books. Must be a great place to cycle around.

I had a positive sighting of Brynn at Daikura and a possible sighting of Matt gingerly going down a slope.

The extra snow has been a bonus although it has delayed my plans to start cycling.

Anonymous said...

Do they have mixed naked onsens in Shimogo? If so, I'll be on the bext flight over!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God Kane, the train thingy, well done!!! There must be some type of civil award for you in Japan now! Glad Alan enjoyed visit, nice pics again. Alan (the other one!) I am here, please no smutty comments though, you must respect my advancing years!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're the reason why the opera is in me.

Kane Davidson said...

Thanks Bono.

Anonymous said...

Greetings, Kane! How are you?