Monday, July 17, 2006

Olympus E-500

I'm hoping that the quality of pictures on this blog will dramatically improve as I'm now the proud owner of a new Olympus E-500 digital SLR camera. This camera was a gift from the Minami Aizu education office for my 3 years service in the JET Programme. Unfortunately, the manual is in Japanese so it might take me some time to work out how to take a decent photograph.

We had our official goodbye party on Friday night in a place called Baichikan in Tajima Town. Along with my camera, I received a certificate and a bunch of flowers (which I promptly gave away to another English teacher).

The party was nice enough but a bit of an anticlimax. After the party, all the other ALTs and myself headed off to karaoke for a short time and then it was time to go home.

This will be my final week at Shimogo JHS before my contract comes to an end. I'll be sad saying goodbye to the students but I'm sure I'll bump into some of them during my final 8 months in Shimogo.

This week has started in a relaxed fashion as today is a Japanese national holiday called Marine Day. Japan has a total of 14 national holidays - Marine Day is the newest and started in 1996 as a day to celebrate the sea.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh happy memories of Kareoke! Would love to have another go. Enjoy your last week before holidays.

Mr Lee said...

So what's next in the pipeline if your contract has finished? And Marine Day? Sounds like any old excuse for a holiday to me - why in 1996 did the sea become so important?

Here is a link to a manual for your camera

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/

Kane Davidson said...

Thanks to Mr Lee for the link. Hopefully I can get the new camera working before my holiday starts.

I have another teaching job in the pipeline for 8 months (before our move to Tokyo). I don't want to go into any details just yet - it's a long story.........

I think Marine Day started in Japan because there were no holidays in July and August. The Japanese summer weather can be very hot and humid and I guess the extra day off was to offer the Japanese people some respite.

Any more questions?

Kane Davidson said...

I believe this is a myth, caused by early, not very sophisticated studies. As far as I know (I used to study color vision in fish) dogs can see color. But apparently
color is not nearly as important to them as it is to us. It may be that for terrestrial carnivores, its more important to have good acuity (the ability to detect
detail) than to see color. But for herbivores it may be more important to be able to see color (e.g., for telling if a fruit is ripe). The same holds true for cats, too.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed. When is Commando Day celebrated? And what about SBS day?

I have taken the liberty of booking you a cessna 152 to scare yourself shitless in next month BTW.