Monday, July 31, 2006

Birthday Party

I had a joint birthday party on Saturday the 29th of July. My birthday was on July 23rd while Nari (beside me in the back row) celebrated his birthday on the day of the party itself. The party was held at the usual local restaurant called Wakatsuki which is always good quality. The food was very nice (including venison) and there was plenty of beer and wine to drink.

My only problem is that I get drunk too easily these days. I think I need to drink at a slower pace and make an effort to fill my stomach with sufficient quantities of food. I was lucky enough to receive some equipment for my camera and a nice hand fan (useful in the Japanese summers) as birthday presents. Thanks to the Sato family for organising the party.

I've been fairly busy today (Monday). I went to the Board of Education to receive a certificate of thanks from the Shimogo Mayor and I also received envelopes of money from my colleagues. Giving envelopes containing money when someone leaves a job seems to be the tradition in Japan. When a person receives money from colleagues, it becomes their responsibility to return a gift as thanks (at about half the cost of the money received). I'll be busy looking for suitable gifts to buy. I have to say that during my 3 years at Shimogo BoE, I've always been treated very well.

I will travel to Tokyo on Wednesday morning and probably spend a few hours doing some shopping in Shinjuku. I would like to buy some books and a few others things before I fly to the Philippines on Thursday night (August 3rd).

I think my next blog update will be on August 11th or 12th and will give you all my stories about my trip to the Philippines. Bye for now.

16 comments:

Kane Davidson said...

Tempting......

Anonymous said...

behave in the Philie's with your brother (allthough it will be difficult......)


D

Mr Lee said...

Happy Birthday you old git.

Present to follow.

Anonymous said...

what a nice picture. Brings back fond memories of our meal last Easter. Have a great time with Mark and speak to you soon - don't drink to quickly or too much!!
Joep

Anonymous said...

Don't trick TOO quickly.

Anonymous said...

Ay so nice to see the restaurant we were in with you. Dries, I am sure the boys will not behave in the Phils. I will just worry, like the mother I am!! But have a great time.

Anonymous said...

You always got drunk far too easily.

Mr Lee said...

Is that really Dries? Hi Dries!

Kane Davidson said...

I'm looking forward to meeting up with the lads again - I'm sure I'll be punch drunk before the end of the evening.

Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kane. My name is Tanaka and I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Twenty Berkley Menthol and a packet of throaties for the wife please George!

Kane Davidson said...

Hi All

Due to technical problems, I may not be able to update my blog for a week or two.

The next postings should detail my trips to the Philippines and Nagasaki.

Cheers
Kane

Anonymous said...

Your blog is pish anyway.

Kane Davidson said...

Yes, you seem to know a lot about "pish" (as do the Spring Garden cleaning ladies).

Anonymous said...

You are a legend, mate. I have total respect for you. I want to be you.