Sunday, February 26, 2006

Japanese Onsen

I thought it was about time for me to introduce you to Japanese onsen. As mentioned previously, an onsen is a Japanese style communal public bath (not swimming pool) and is usually heated by geothermal energy. Shimogo is famous for its onsens and people come from far and wide to soak in them.

Today I went to the public onsen in Shimogo in order to try and lessen the discomfort in my neck caused by my skiing accident on Friday. Although the water was not at its usual boiling temperature, my neck and the rest of my body seem to feel a bit better. The Shimogo public bath is quite small and the men's area was full when I arrived (7 people). I seem to have scared away the other customers, however, as 15 minutes after I immersed myself in the water, all other customers had done a runner. Perhaps the sight of a pale and skinny white gaijin body was too much for them.

I have added some pictures (not my own) which show the typical set up of a Japanese onsen. If you ever visit Japan, taking an onsen is a highly recommended experience.

I'll post another blog entry later in the week. Tomorrow I have a busy day at Narahara Elementary School (5 classes) and then a normal few days in Shimogo JHS. On Thursday night there will be a small wedding party for one of the teachers at Shimogo JHS. On Friday I am going to karaoke with one of the teachers from elementary school. Saturday night will see another night out in a city called Aizu-Wakamatsu. Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cannot wait to try the onsen myself at Easter. Will Clara show me what to do?

Mr Lee said...

Maybe it was your verruca sock that put them off?

Kane Davidson said...

Or something else..........

Mark in Hong Kong said...

I find aromatherapy particularly soothing, especially Jasmine extract. Must go and attend to my knitting now...