Friday, September 05, 2014

Vladivostok

Approach into Vladivostok
The ferry eventually berthed in Vladivostok approximately 5 hours late - a lot of my sightseeing time in the city had been lost thanks to the Russian drunks. Just before docking, an attractive Russian lady was hauled away by the ship’s crew - she had made the spurious allegation the night before that someone had been thrown overboard.
Close to shore
Still, the slow arrival into Vladivostok harbor was as breathtaking as it was interesting. The sea was almost dead calm and the small islands near the port reminded me somewhat of the Scottish Hebrides. People zipped around in speedboats or sunbathed along the coastline.

Lighthouse
I took a lot of pictures of the merchant vessels around the port, and used my zoom lens to capture vessels from the Russian Navy tucked away in their own corner of the port. The piece de resistance was a solo Russian Airforce Su-27 Flanker flying overhead which I just managed to capture on maximum zoom.

As the ferry slowly approached port, I eventually managed to pick Joep out waiting on the terminal balcony. We exchanged waves, but it was another 60 minutes or so before we could meet. Then, it was off to the hotel for a quick shower followed by dinner.

Joep was in no condition to sample the nightlife of Vladivostok so I headed out myself, spending 30 minutes walking around lost. Getting lost does offer some advantages -  I was able to witness the wealth of some residents in the city. I eventually found a nice bar, but it was a Monday night with very little of interest going on. After a couple of red beers, took a scary taxi journey to my bed.
Russian Destroyer - Marshal Shaposhnikov
The next morning, we walked with our heavy baggage down to the train station, ready to catch our train to Europe.
3 master

No comments: