Friday, September 26, 2014

Trans Siberian Express - Yekaterinburg to Moscow

Free lunch
The final leg of our journey on the Trans Siberian Express lasted almost exactly 1 day and was much more comfortable than our previous trains. The restaurant car could be described as plush, the cabin attendants wore smarter uniforms, we received proper mattresses and an in cabin charging point, and the toilets were much more pleasant to use.

Perhaps, as we were nearing the Russia – Ukraine border, people were much more suspicious of foreign travelers. Many of my fellow passengers stared at my SLR camera with suspicion and as I left the restaurant car, a Russian by the name of Ruslan, enquired whether or not I was taking photos along the way. When I confirmed that was correct, he shook his head in disapproval.
Wooden shacks
Not long after leaving Yekaterinburg, we crossed into Europe from Asia. The gateway to Europe is the Ural mountain range. In my mind, the Urals were mighty mountains possessing challenging peaks. In reality, this mid-point between two continents was barely noticeable and was made up of small rolling hills. It was a mild disappointment to have missed the obelisk which represents the boundary between the two continents.
Blog writing
On the final night, there were no whisky swilling Russians to interrupt my sleep. I felt some foreboding as we approached Moscow, apprehensive of what I thought would be a dangerous city full of pick pockets.
Scenery

No comments: