Sunday, November 24, 2013

J League Football - FC Tokyo v Shonan Bellmare

Clara suggested going to watch an FC Tokyo game a few days ago, and I have to say, I'm glad she did. We had a great day out at FC Tokyo's Ajinomoto Stadium. Yesterday was a perfect autumnal day, the home crowd were in good voice (including Clara), and the final result sent us all home happy.

Despite living in Japan for a number of years, and despite enjoying a good game of football, I have never quite managed to get to a J League game. I've often talked on a number of occasions about going to watch FC Tokyo, but it never quite happened. After yesterday's game, I'm eager to see more. Great fun!

In spite of FC Tokyo being a mid ranked team over the last few years, I thought they performed really well. I certainly believe the quality of football on show was better than that in the Scottish Premier League.
Stadium starts to fill up

During the first half, FC Tokyo dominated the game but could not score the opening goal. After going behind in the second half, they were galvanised and scored twice, the winner coming during injury time, or lost time, as they say in Japan.

The final goal was worth waiting for, a cooly taken shot by the Tokyo number 32, Vucicevic from Serbia. When that goal went in, Clara and I were jumping around, exchanged a hug, and plenty of high fives. A great finish to a match of good quality. I think I have caught the J League bug.
Passionate FC Tokyo fans
Clara seems to really enjoy watching the football. She is now quite familiar with most of the FC Tokyo chants and enjoyed being part of the crowd - it seems she has a new hobby.
FC Tokyo celebrate
An excellent day with Clara at the football. It is now less than 1 month till our trip to Scotland and I guess there will be a lot to organise before we leave on the 21st December. The final FC Tokyo game this season will be held on 7th December, so perhaps we can squeeze in another game before our holidays begin.
2-1 to FC Tokyo!

No comments: