Sunday, March 04, 2012

Real Ales and Pool

One of the great developments in Scotland over the last decade or so has been the growing success of Scottish produced real ales. During my brief stay in the Highlands, I have managed to visit a good number of bars which have sold some absolutely delicious ales. The best bar selling real ales which I have visited over the last week is called The Castle Tavern, near the center of Inverness. The Castle Tavern has about 6 real ales on tap at any one time and these ales change regularly when the cask is emptied. Not only are the ales in the pub quite excellent, but the atmosphere is friendly and convivial. If you are looking for some great Scottish real ales, the Castle Tavern is the place to go. Although the Isle of Skye Brewery does indeed produce some excellent beer e.g. Flora and Blaven ales, I really became fond of some of the produce from the Orkney Brewery, especially Northern Light Ale.Last night Neil and I had a good night out in Inverness. We placed a few small bets on the football results, drank a number of great beers (mostly in The Castle Tavern), and played 10 games of pool in the pool hall in Inverness. I was obviously very happy to wipe the floor with Neil, beating him 7 games to 3. Neil looked slightly shell shocked after 'The Tokyo Typhoon' taught him a few lessons on the green baize.

I am now nearing the end of my stay in Scotland, but will have a few more blog entries (with photos) to make over the next few days.

Slainte bha! / Cheers!

No comments: