Sunday, June 26, 2011

Elwood's Bar

My watering hole of choice over the past year or so has been Elwood's Bar, a few minutes walk from the house. I like a fairly chilled bar where I can quietly sit and have a drink or two and Elwood's Bar certainly fits the bill.

It is nice to either use my broken Japanese on the other customers, just relax and watch the live Premiership football on a Saturday night, or reflect on the previous week over a good pint of draught Guinness. The bottle of spiced rum also gets closely inspected at times.

Wherever I have been, I am not really one for a packed pub or busy club (although that really hasn't stopped me in the past...). I'm more of a pipe-and-slippers man that enjoys quiet and simple pleasures. The other customers seem to be of the same ilk which makes for a great place to unwind.The bar owner, Keisuke, is also a good chap - very friendly, hospitable, and has keen interests in football and alcohol. What more could you want? With the summer really starting to heat up in Tokyo (temperatures are expected to be around 32C next week), I am sure my consumption of Sapporo lager will go through the roof at Elwood's Bar.

Clara is lucky enough to have lots of travel plans this summer. She will climb Mount Fuji with her class on Tuesday (and stay overnight), then she will travel to Scotland with her grandparents for 1 month, and then she will join us all for a week away on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido. I really can't wait to travel around Hokkaido - beautiful scenery, interesting history, and more benign summer temperatures in comparison with Tokyo.

There are a lot of other things going on behind the scenes at the moment, but I am unable to blog about such things. Hopefully in a month or so. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Mum - Yours said...

that barman looks a jolly chap! Yep its great Clara will be doing justice to her Scottish roots soon. So much to do, we will love it, oh yes and of course we will book the caravan on the beach so we can run wild again. Cannot wait YIPEE !!!!!