Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Quake +4: Radiation

Well, with thanks to a friend, I managed to seize the chance and get out of Makuhari. The journey was not straightforward and involved a number of trains and then finally a taxi. I have to be honest and say the current situation regarding the Fukushima nuclear reactors is extremely worrying. The news has continued to deteriorate day by day and I am wondering what the final outcome may be.

Worst case seems to be a multiple Chernobyl style situation. Many experts state that it is impossible to get that bad, but I don't think anyone knows for sure. I checked a map of radioactive hot spots around Chernobyl and think that as we are perhaps over 200 miles from the reactors, we should be okay. I cannot believe that I even have to consider the possibility of such an event.

Based on current information, the only immediate option is to sit tight. If we are confined inside, we should have enough provisions for a week or so. The key essential is water which we seem to have enough of. Some friends have managed to get tickets out of the country today whilst others are still looking.

It really is a terribly desperate situation that requires calmness of thought of a dash of common sense - batten down the hatches. Of course the main worry is any impact to the health of Clara.

I will try and keep you posted but if the threat escalates, we may have to confine ourselves to a more airtight and restricted living space. I may therefore not have much access to the outside world, apart from my iPhone which would probably not work anyway. That's it for now.

3.50pm UPDATE: Power cut for 3 hours from 4pm - 7pm. Won't be online till later.

9.30pm UPDATE: Clara and I have tickets to Hong Kong leaving Haneda Airport at 5.55pm tomorrow (via Taipei). I hope the plane runs on schedule. Against my protestations, Yuki has decided to stay put in Tokyo. Of course the priority for me is to get Clara away from any harmful radiation. Initial plan is 1 week Hong Hong, depending on how Japan copes.

1 comment:

Mum - Yours said...

I cant believe it either. Our worst nightmare. We just want you to be safe. If some people are getting out can you perhaps think about it?