Monday, March 14, 2011

Quake +3: Marooned

Well, I am still stuck in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture, sitting in a dark office. There were no power cuts today as it seems the Japanese public have reigned in their electricity consumption so far. The office is dark as part of the efforts to limit consumption, although such measures are not sustainable and I am getting eye strain from typing this paragraph. The office also has a very large crack in the wall extending from the 20th floor down to the ground.

As can be seen from the photos taken with my iPhone, despite being far from the epicenter, Makuhari has sustained some damage. There are numerous examples of holes and rips in the pavements and roads. Perhaps the most irritating aspect are the clouds of airborne dust swirling around - not good for the old respiratory system. The photos indicate a process called liquifaction, associated with loose and uncompacted soil.

Many of my colleagues have made unsuccessful efforts to escape Tokyo today. Some have tried to get a flight, some tried to hire cars to get some distance from Tokyo, some have tried to get petrol to fill up their tanks. All efforts were unsuccessful and so it appears that we will have to sit tight and hope for the best. Many of the embassies are advising their expats to get out of Tokyo in advance of more bad news on the nuke front and in anticipation of the expected large aftershock.

For most, the main worry has been radiation from the nuclear reactors in Fukushima, some 300km to the north. I am also equally concerned about the follow up 'aftershock' predicted to be 8 on the Richter scale. If this quake is confined to the same area as the first quake, at least Tokyo should survive with only a few more cuts and bruises. If it is closer to Tokyo, there could very well be thousands of more casualties. We have to wait and see.

Despite all the privations, I have managed to put a reasonable shift in at work today, although if I make it home, I don't think I'll return for a week to let things take their course.

So, the feeling is one of helplessness at the moment. It was obviously a big mistake to leave the house last night as I am not now sure when I can return. Makuhari is also on or below sea level so the spectre of another tsunami is very real.

I will try and put up another update when possible. Keep your fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Mum - Yours said...

You are doing a great job at keeping us up to date. I hope you get away from there soon. x