Thursday, March 17, 2011

Arrival in Hong Kong

Clara and I left Kumegawa yesterday morning (Wednesday) on the 7am train bound for Shinjuku in central Tokyo. The original plan had been to get in by bus as our train line was not in full operation for the last couple of days. Fortunately, the electricity supply was in operation and a limited service in and out of central Tokyo was provided. We were aiming for Haneda Airport and were accompanied into town by Yuki who was defiantly going into work. It was difficult to say goodbye to her when she get off at her stop near Tokyo.

I know that the chances of serious health risks in Tokyo are most likely low. However, I felt the window of opportunity closing and had to get Clara out before the risks of radiation increased, before mass panic set in, and before provisions run low. Of course, all of the above may not happen, I'm just not going to hang about to find out, especially with Clara. I have no regrets - I needed to act before we were boxed in with no room to manoeuvre.

I'm not sure what to think about the behaviour of the public in Tokyo. People are desperately trying to carry on as usual. The salarymen look the same and are reading the same old manga on the train, people are still handing out leaflets advertising English lessons, kids are going to school. The public are either incredibly brave or foolhardy. But what would people in any other country do? Your country is on the ropes and options are limited, so I guess many people would tough it out and try to keep the wheels of the economy from falling off. I was lucky, I had options and I was not bound to stay through national pride. It was clear for me that Clara had to get out, even if only for a week so we could assess the situation from afar.

I remember tossing and turning in bed on Tuesday night, before the early start to the airport on Wednesday. The sounds of the neighbourhood were much the same - a drunk salaryman singing karaoke in the snack bar across the street, and giggling girls walking past the house after a night out. It was strange to have such high levels of anxiety whilst others seemed non-plussed.

Clara was as tough as old boots yesterday. An early start with lots or travelling, waiting and queuing. Not one complaint. She took great pleasure with our business class seats on the flight to Taipei, and requested we fly first class next time. I will try and keep the mood light whilst we are in Hong Kong and plan to visit a few places with her - Disneyland seems to be top of her list.

Now Clara and I are with Mark (my brother in Hong Kong). We have breathing space to take stock and weigh up what is happening. Yuki said she may follow if things deteriorate further although I don't think moving will be possible in Tokyo if it does get to that stage. Clara has just finished a large breakfast and is now sitting on the sofa reading manga. Soon we will get ourselves cleaned up and head into Mui Wo for lunch and shopping at the local supermarket.

More thoughts to follow.

5 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

I am sure youboth slept well, I know I had a good nights sleep for the first time. Take your time to see what happens, hope Yuki is okx

Caroline & Nick Ellis said...

Dear Kane,
You have absolutely done the right thing! Both Nick and I breathed a sigh of relief when we read you had arrived in HK. We hope the danger will soon pass and you will be able to return to Yuki. Meanwhile have a good time in HK - give Clara a big hug from the 4 of us in Letchworth.

Caroline, Nick, Matilde & Jacob xx

steve h said...

Glad you and Clara are safe. Just behave yourself with Mark. Seems only yesterday that a trip to Mc.Coiter's cave was the height of danger!
Steve and Deb

Anonymous said...

A very well written piece.

Kane Davidson said...

Hi Caroline and Nick

Thanks for that. Yeah, despite all the statements from experts saying the radiation risks were negliglibe, I wanted to make sure. It is also a pretty grim and depressing environment over there at the moment and good for Clara to get away - she is a sensitive soul and it would impact on her.

Steve H

Yep, McCoitures (sp?) cave was all part of the training. A lot of Japanese from Fukushima would jump at the chance of sleeping in a sheltered cave at the moment.

I am on my best behaviour with Mark - basically at Clara's beck and call so she will be happy as poss.

Many thanks.
Kane