Saturday, July 04, 2009

Camera for Scotland

Looks like we will all have a quiet weekend at home. Now it is only 2 weeks until Clara and I fly off to Scotland - we are both excited to be going back and it will be great to escape the stifling summer heat for a while.

Clara will stay in Scotland for 3 weeks so she needs a simple point-and-shoot camera to record all the things she gets up to. We bought a Panasonic Lumix FX-40 today and I have to say it looks pretty good and seems to have a high spec. I may start neglecting my Olympus SLR if the new Lumix works as well as it looks.

We are all going out tonight for monjayaki (a savory type Japanese pancake-like dish) so I may take along the new camera and see if it works.

::"#$%&!!¥ - GOD!!!!! The camera only has a Japanese language option.....arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Mum - Yours said...

Simply point and shoot! You are not the only ones getting well excited here!

Camera Colin said...

Would you not have been better off with a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-T500?

Kane Davidson said...

Don't think so, Colin. The Sony is now nearly a year old - a long time in the world of digital cameras as I'm sure you will agree.

Mum - Yours said...

well said!

Camera Colin said...

Perhaps, but it is still a good piece of kit. I think you should also have considered the Olympus MJU 7000 though.

Kane Davidson said...

Yes, Colin. The 7x optical zoom was tempting on the Olympus but as I already own an Olympus E-500, I thought I'd try something different.

The Leica lens on the Lumix was too tempting to forego.

Camera Colin said...

I also take the view that the Kodak range merit consideration when purchasing a digital camera. They have much to offer and should not be ignored. What are your thoughts/comments on this please?

Camera Colin said...

Well Kane, what I would say is that the Panasonic Lumix DMC FX40 is a small, neat, pocket sized digital camera. It has 12 megapixels and an ultra wide, 5x optical zoom lens. If you decrease the resolution you are shooting at extra zoom becomes available, giving you a maximum of 9.8x zoom. I think this is a very useful feature as unless you are planning to make extra large prints or to crop your photos 12 megapixels is overkill for most print sizes. The Lumix DMC FX40 is able to take High Definition movie clips.

The ultra wide lens comes in handy for squeezing extra width into a shot. Common uses include landscapes, groups of people and wide buildings.

If you are looking for alternatives, one pocket camera I like is the Canon IXUS 100 IS. This is a very small camera. It looks good and I found the picture quality it offered to be a step up from the Lumix DMC FX40.

Colin