Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Wedding

The main reason for my return to Shimogo was to attend the wedding of Fuminori, a former colleague. The wedding was held in a city called Aizu Wakamatsu on Sunday the 2nd of September. I met up with former colleagues from the local government at 10.30am outside the town office. A small bus had been arranged to transport about 10 people to the wedding in Aizu Wakamatsu. As usual, things were organised to perfection. The bus was well stocked with beer, wine, and a selection of snacks. Although I had had a large breakfast shortly before, the thought of another beer at 10.30 in the morning was initially an unappetising prospect. However, I soon got back into the swing of things and even managed a cup of wine before the journey to Aizu Wakamatsu had come to an end.

Once we arrived at the wedding chapel, I had to rush to get changed into my kilt as the wedding was about to begin. I was then told that the start time had been pushed back by 30 minutes. I have a sneaking suspicion that I was the reason for the delay. I should have changed before I caught the bus but I thought there would be plenty of time before the wedding began. In the end, I managed to put the kilt and accompaniments on, but did not have time to flatten my hair and so spent the whole day looking like I had just woken up.

The ceremony was very similar to a British ceremony. The only difference was that there was a short slide show before it began with pictures of both Fuminori and Chihiro. Once the ceremony had ended, all the guests made their way outside to wait for the couple to descend the steps from the wedding chapel. This was a perfect opportunity to throw some confetti and take a few photographs.
As usual, things ran like clockwork and it was obvious that many people had made a lot of effort to make the day a success. A portrait of the happy couple had been painted, a pamphlet titled 'Fumi' had been produced with a selection of photos and stories about Fuminori and Chihiro, and the local fire brigade (of which Fuminori is a member) put on a comical show for the benefits of the wedding guests. I was surprised when the fire brigade leader made a beeline for my seat during the meal and required me to salute him twice before commencing their routine. He was screaming parade-ground-like in front of me with about 180 celebrants looking on. Thank God I returned his salutes or I got the feeling he would never have left me alone. I always enjoy Japanese weddings as every one is different. British weddings seem stuffy by comparison and they all eventually seem to blend into one. Japanese weddings are always filled with a bit of comedy, and this was no different. I even went to a wedding about 4 years ago in Tokyo where the bride and groom used a light sabre to cut the wedding cake to the Star Wars theme tune playing through massive speakers.

It is usual in Japan for the bride to change into a kimono after the wedding ceremony. The red kimono stood out vividly. The mothers of the bride and groom always wear black kimonos, decorated with a number of traditional Japanese scenes. Very classy.

After the wedding, in true Japanese style, there was a second party. The second party was held in an Italian restaurant, close to where the wedding was held. I had a good laugh catching up with everyone, although by that time, I was feeling quite ropey after 3 days of drinking. I decided to 'decorate' the toilet before heading back to my hotel room at 8pm. Congratulations to Fuminori and Chihiro!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh sounds so good, what a great time, not sure why the Fireman was shouting at you though!!! Must have been your hair. Anyway pleased to hear you had an early night for once!

Anonymous said...

kano,sounds like a cracking weekend.not much danger of the boys lasting long enough for a 2nd party though.stamina seems to have gone!!

Kane Davidson said...

Hi Neil

Plenty of stamina will be needed for your trip to Tokyo, especially on Sat 29th Sept.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Cheers
Kano

P.S. I hope you enjoyed the roast beef.

Anonymous said...

Again, I am not going to make any comments as a certain lady seems to take them the wrong way.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed! long may it last!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't bet on it, love!