Thursday, April 19, 2007

Tokyo Life

As promised, here are some details about where we are living in Tokyo. We are now living about 30 minutes from the centre of Tokyo (on the semi express train). The area is called Higashimurayama and our local station is called Kumegawa. It's a great area to live in. There are lots of shops, supermarkets, restaurants, bars, parks, and other open spaces.

City living is still a bit of a shock to the system after living in the middle of nowhere for nearly 4 years. It's great to be able to do such simple things as shopping at any time of day and to have so many different ways to spend my time. It's fantastic to be able to choose what I want to do. I do miss a lot of things about Shimogo though and I'm lucky to have had the chance to see the two sides of Japan.

Unfortunately, I haven't slept well since our move which I think is due to the background noise of the local area. In Shimogo you could hear a pin drop, but in Tokyo, there's always a car driving past or people walking nearby. I'm sure I'll get used to the noise soon. I remember I had the same problem when I first lived in Tokyo (about 11 years ago). I used to be woken up by the musical bin lorry outside my tiny apartment, but after a few months, it ceased to bother me.

A particular annoyance at the moment is the noise caused by the local elections which are going on all round Japan. Every candidate seems to drive in a circuit around the local area in vans weighed down by massive speakers. All the candidates seem to do is repeat their names over and over again. It must be difficult for them to tell people their manifesto as they are constantly on the move. The candidate who has driven past our house the most is called Ishibashi. I think I've heard his name repeated at least 100 times today. Annoying, so he will not get my vote (if I were allowed to vote).

I thought I would take this opportunity to share with you this drawing showing a banner erected by General Douglas MacArthur's Japanese supporters in 1950. This banner was to display their support for him in a possible US presidential election race.

It is odd that our apartment in Tokyo is much bigger than our previous apartment in Shimogo. Tokyo is the one of the world's most densely populated cities where you would expect living areas to be small as space is scarce. Conversely, the Japanese countryside is in decline and there is an abundance of available space for housing. Therefore, I never really understood why most apartments I saw in the countryside were tiny. My theory is that apartment designs are fairly standard in Japan and are used both for rural and urban areas. It doesn't really make sense to use the same housing dimensions for both the countryside and city. If the Japanese nation want to preserve some sort of rural population, it would be common sense not to force people into living in rabbit hutches when there is no obvious need to do so. If the quality of life was better in the countryside, perhaps less people would want to leave. Here endith the lesson.
Here is a picture of our living room and our balcony. The living room is about the same size as our old apartment in Shimogo. It's nice to be able to sit on a sofa instead of the floor.

The balcony will be used for beer drinking during the summer. Clara loves her new room, even if it is a bit on the small side. She makes me knock on the door every time I want to enter. Yuki is really happy that she has a large kitchen to work in and is over the moon that our bath is double the size of the one we had in Shimogo. Our living conditions have certainly taken a turn for the better. Of course the natural environment is nothing compared to Shimogo, but the general balance of things does seem to be better.
We have basically finished organising the apartment. The last piece of the puzzle fell into place today when our telephone was finally installed. We have no plans for the weekend, but if we do anything interesting, I'll let you know.

I'll try and do another update soon, perhaps about our new space age toilet. Until then.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good update Kane. Apartment looks really good and I think your readers would love to hear about that fantastic loo you have! (which I have been priveliged to have used). The MacArthur's Erection thing was funny a bit like put Father Christmas on the Cross!

Mr Lee said...

Ishibashi!

I think withholding a vote you don't have in the first place is a brilliant protest. In the same way I am not going to re-elect Kim Jong-il in the next North Korean general election. That'll show him.

Kane Davidson said...

Exactly! Democracy is a wonderful thing.

As an aside, Ishi means stone and bashi means bridge i.e stone bridge or bridge stone in reverse. Hence the name of the Japanese tyre manufacturer Bridgestone.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about your toilet too when I heard an item on the radio this week about problems with luxury toilets in Japan. Several are reported to have exploded while being used, causing damage and distress to occupants. You better be careful!!! Have a beer on me while on the balcony!

I am thinking how I can use my first (?) real Scottish vote in the May elections. For years I only had a 'virtual' vote so I know the frustrations! Mind you this election is something else.

Blog is getting better and better, keep it up

Kane Davidson said...

The explosions in my toilet are of the biological variety and cause distress to other (latter) occupants.

Kane Davidson said...

Always good to see Satan make an appearance.

Anonymous said...

Satan.....better note that we are growing Garlick in Inverness BIG STYLE (we think 23 bulbs)

Anonymous said...

Joep...you SMELL!

Mr Lee said...

Gosh, the devil is very rude. Who'd have thought?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Lee. And your motorbike is seriously GAY!!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic blog you have here, young man.

Kane Davidson said...

Thanks Sir Winston. May I take the opportunity to say what a great orator you were.

You may be interested to know that since you died, there have been marvellous advances in toilet technology. I plan to write about such developments in my next blog.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kane. I appreciate your kind words.

Have you seen my friends Adolf and Benito of late?

Kane Davidson said...

Nope. Adolf and Eva said they wanted to be alone and Benito said he was going to "hang out" somewhere.

I did however bump into Joseph recently and he asked me to pass on his regards. Apparently he's planning reorganising a few farms and building a new canal.

Kane Davidson said...

Yep. How is Phil Daniels?

Anonymous said...

I like Phil Daniels, but not a lot.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone seen Debbie?

Anonymous said...

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Anonymous said...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.

Anonymous said...

I have an announcement to make - Joep and I are pregnant. Not planned, but what a wonderful surprise for our twilight years!

Kane Davidson said...

Congratulations! It's good of you to use this blog as a forum for your good news.

Anonymous said...

Well that is good news, thanks for letting me know

Anonymous said...

Time for an update!!!!

Anonymous said...

You dirty old cow, Pauline!

Good to see that Joep has still got lead in his pencil.

Fergus said...

your new Tokyo appartment certainly looks much bigger than your first one reevsie, it looks like there would be plenty roon for Hank, Grambo and nyself to visit in this one.

What are your thoughts on a new wee brother or sister? How is Clara feeling about a somewhat confusing new uncle or aunt? Many congratulations to Jeop and Pauline, love's young dream.

Joep said...

mmmmmm didn't realise I said any of these things. I wonder who hijacked me? For the record I DO have a local and a european vote. Not one for Scottish or Westminster Parliaments. In case of a war I would not be entitled to any rations either. Tough being an alien and having to rely on a share of the family rations