Friday, January 05, 2007

2007 - Year of the Boar

Happy New Year to all. In Japan, people send New Year cards which are usually adorned with the creature from the Chinese zodiac that represents the forthcoming year.

After spending Christmas week (including Xmas Day) sitting at my desk at school, I was really looking forward to a good 5 day break in Tokyo over New Year. The break was pretty good. I met up with a friend from the Isle of Skye for a curry in Shibuya - we met at the Hachiko statue which is a famous meeting place in Tokyo. The curry restaurant was called Raj Palace and was cheap but the food was nice. As usual, I ordered one of the hottest dishes on the menu and therefore I ended up leaving half of it. Will I ever learn my lesson?

What else did I do in Tokyo? Well, I bought a good suit which will hopefully assist me in finding a plumb job in Tokyo. I spent a lot of time watching the new Sharp Aquos 65 inch TV which Yuki's Dad bought. I went to my favourite local bar a couple of times which was nice and I found out that one of the customers is host to a weekly TV programme - I thought he looked vaguely familiar. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name or that of the programme he presents so you'll just have to take my word for it.

On the 3rd, we drove back up to Shimogo as I needed to do two half days of desk sitting at Arakai JHS. Today (Friday), I drove to Daikurayama ski area with the intention of picking up the new area ski pass which gives access to 4 ski areas. I was disappointed to be told I was not eligible to buy this type of ski pass and now I have to settle for a ski pass at the same cost but that gives me unlimited access to Daikura only. Pretty disappointing really, especially after being told yesterday by staff at Daikura that I would be eligible for the new style ski pass. Oh well......I either have to accept the situation or change into the Hulk and sort them out. I'll probably accept the situation and buy the same pass that I've bought for the past 3 years.

I went skiing today to Daikura and it was not great to be honest. Although the weather was wonderful, the snow was pretty light and icy in most places. I'm worried it won't change for the rest of the season. In previous years the snowfall has been REALLY heavy but not this year. Snowfall in the European Alps has also been pretty bad and many people blame global warming. I'm praying for heavy snow but I have to face the possibility that this skiing season will be short and conditions poor. If I had the ski pass that I wanted, I would have been able to go the ski ski area with the best snow. Grrrrrr........Classes start again next week although we are lucky that Monday is a national holiday. I'll probably go skiing to Daikura.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame about the pas, never mind the snow will fall heavily for you I am sure. Like the story about the dog, bit like Greyfriars Bobby!

Kane Davidson said...

Big shame about the pass - I'm still a bit peed off about it as I was getting excited for the last couple of months about being able to visit a few different skiing areas. The pass fiasco coupled with the crappy skiing conditions has taken its toll on my enthusiasm and I've had to force myself to Daikura ski area over the last couple of days. Hopefully the enthusiasm (and snow) will return.

Clara is looking forward to making a snowman.

Kane Davidson said...

Yes, I did. I also wore my new Rossignol goggles.

Kane Davidson said...

It's a VERY bad example of leadership. All young skiers (esp the boys) should be well aware that their helmet is an important bit of kit.

Kane Davidson said...

Yes. A helmet needs a regular polish to keep it in tip-top shape.

Matthew Fulford said...

Hey Kane, how do you have so many spots on your Clustrmap?! There's even one on the border with North Korea and one in Russia.

Are you a spy?

Kane Davidson said...

Not sure who I know in Russia and Korea. Might be my old mates in the KGB / NKVD.

I'm pleased to see that I have a reader in Australia and New Zealand now. Again, no idea who they might be...

Kane Davidson said...

Eh??

Anonymous said...

I think New Zealand is Alison Noble!

Kane Davidson said...

Negative. Dunedin is on the south island. The location looks like Auckland.

Anonymous said...

OK

Anonymous said...

Who gives a flying f*** anyway?

Kane Davidson said...

Thanks for your input 'Hank' probably aka Alan.