Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Cooking Class

The cooking class went well. I was a little apprehensive that things would not work out, but in the end, it was all fine. About 16 students turned up and I think they were happy with the class and with the end result.

Today I taught the class how to make traditional Scottish shortbread. It's not all that difficult. In fact, it's extremely simple. Mix 190g of butter, 90g of fine brown sugar, and 235g of flour and divide this into 12 small balls. Flatten the balls and place in the oven at 170C for 25 minutes. Voila!!! Traditional Scottish shortbread, guaranteed to give the eater a cardiac arrest within seconds. I don't think I'll ever eat shortbread again, now I know how much butter and sugar goes into them.

The class went well because the recipe was simple and was great for fitting into a one hour slot. I had to be on constant guard because the hoods on the kitchen extractor fans were really low and had very sharp corners. Obviously the kitchen was not designed for a 184cm tall Scotsman.

I have two more classes to lead before the community course finishes. On the 12th of December, I will teach the class English which will be useful for their visit to British Hills in January. I've mentioned British Hills in a previous post. My final class will be on the 19th of December and will be about Christmas (language, traditions etc). Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, Kane, so proud, will you make us shortbread next time you are home?? By the way the class looks really friendly!

Kane Davidson said...

They're a very jolly bunch.

Anonymous said...

not many comments on this one? Everyone must be shopping for Christmas!!!

Kane Davidson said...

I think that everyone must be in a state of shock that I was seen near a cooker.