Thursday, October 26, 2006

Scotland - Edinburgh Wedding

The final leg of my holiday in Scotland was the journey to Edinburgh for the wedding of Michael and Louise.

The day before the wedding, I was able to meet Alan Thomson for lunch in Bar 38 on George Street. Alan is a friend that I met at the University of Aberdeen and who I shared a flat with for 3 memorable years (along with Grambo and Glovesy). He is still reet HC and is carving a highly successful career for himself in the Edinburgh legal world.

I also managed to meet up with some old colleagues from Deutsche Bank. They haven't changed. They are still a good laugh to be with and have not lost their taste for alcohol.

Going to the wedding was an excellent chance for me to meet up with my old school friends. We all had a really good time and I haven't laughed so much in a long time.

The ceremony started at the Catholic church at 2pm on Saturday the 21st of October. Before the wedding, lots of us went down to an area called the Grassmarket for a few beers. The weather was so nice that we could sit outside.

The ceremony was pretty good and not as long as I expected. It was great to see how happy Michael and Louise were on their big day. I took a lot of photos and also a video of the proceedings. Unfortunately, the church was a bit dark inside so some of the photos were not very good. I managed to annoy a good deal of people in the church with my video camera - it was making regular beeping noises. For every beep, I received a dirty look.

After the ceremony, we went to another pub for a few more beers before the reception started. The wedding reception was held at one of the best hotels in Edinburgh - the Caledonian Hotel. There were about 180 guests at the reception. The food was fantastic and I can honestly say that I have never tasted better roast lamb in my whole life. I've thought about the lamb every day since the wedding - it was that good!!

After the meal and speeches, the band started to play and finished about 2am. It was nice to hear some traditional Scottish music again and good to see Farquahar and play the fiddle and Archie play the accordian (both friends from the Isle of Skye).

The ceremony, reception with its excellent food and music, and the company of old friends, all made the perfect end to my holiday in Scotland.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

More good pics, you even managed to make Alan look, even more good looking, than he already is of course.

Kane Davidson said...

He took it himself.

Anonymous said...

he must have written something bad!