Sunday, March 19, 2006

Retirement Party

Unfortunately I have had a pretty bad week for a number of reasons. I will not go into any detail but I hope to forget the previous week as quickly as possible, after I attend to some unfinished business.............

Friday night was the perfect chance to unwind after several frustrating incidents during the week. On Friday, there was a retirement party for 2 long serving members of the local Board of Education. Both retirees had worked in the local town office for 40 years each.

The BoE members all stayed at a very nice hotel called Marumine in a hot spring area called Ashinomaki. The picture shows the Director of the BoE flanked by the two retirees. This picture shows the typical style of a Japanese work celebration. The food is very traditional with lots of fish and other oddities. On the table are several flasks of sake (Japanese rice wine) and the men are sitting on legless seats called zaiisu. By the end of the night, it was not only the chairs that were legless.

After the food (most of which I didn't eat), most members did their best to finish the supply of alcohol which the hotel had supplied for the party. I was then encouraged /coerced into singing a few songs in front of my colleagues. For the record, I sang 'Country Roads' by John Denver and 'Hey Jude' by The Beatles.

After the first party, it was time for the second party. I remember getting some ramen with the other members and then everyone going to the room I was staying in and basically chatting and drinking as much as possible. I am unsure what time I went to sleep.

Today I went for another long cycle up a nearby mountain road. Despite wearing my ski jacket and ski gloves, I felt I was about to pass out with the cold and my bike became caked with snow. Maybe I should wait for better weather. Next week should be fairly quiet. Shimogo JHS is winding down in preparation for the Spring Holidays and there is also a national holiday on Tuesday. I guess I'll either ski or cycle on Tuesday - I've been quite diligent recently in improving my diet and I'm trying to exercise more.

Well, that's all my recent news. Hopefully I'll have something else to say soon. Bye for now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound and looks like a good night, despite certain pressures life is still good! Hoping to get legless on Saki myself soon! Mum

Mark in Hong Kong said...

who is alfie and why is he so stupid?

Kane Davidson said...

Alfie is the pename of a certain gentleman who goes by the other name of Alan Thomson. I'm sure you are aware of his chequered history.......

Kane Davidson said...

I forgot to mention that the song is called Bad by U2.

Kane Davidson said...

David Howell Evans.

Kane Davidson said...

I would have to say that Achtung Baby is my own personal favourite. Just for driving around in my car at 17 y.o reasons.

Mr Lee said...

Mind you, Bono's mother did warn him - "Don't go too near the edge"

Anonymous said...

What is all this about, must be a generaton gap here! Mum